Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Piccaso's 'Guernica'


We bid farewell to Bilbao and came down to Madrid, the last leg of our journey. The Talgo train left Bilbao, and reached Madrid(Chamartin), on time. It seems to have made it up when we were nearing Madrid by making 245 km/h. I had never travelled that fast by land.
Our visit to Madrid was focused on some museums. First it was the Queen Sophia Museum(Museo Reina Sofia), opposite Madrid(Atocha) station, where Picasso's 'Guernica' was housed. It was in Room 206.06. It was alone there, but enough, it is a huge painting. People were visiting the room, and I was happy to be with them there. This was my second encounter, hopefully not the last. This time I thought that it was all cries and pain and sorrow. But I wanted to know what the lamp and the light, both in the upper-middle part, are about. An introduction in several pages was hanging at the door. Six books were listed in there as a bibliography, and I saw three of them were published in this century. Research is going on still. In the adjoining room there were 26 paintings by Piccaso more or less related to 'Geurnica'. A short documentary film titled 'Espana 1936' was being shown in still another room.
The Prado is so well-known that I will not speak about it. I will briefly dwell on Museo Naval. I make it a point to visit Naval/Maritime museums wherever I go. I regret we do not have many of this sort in Japan. We spent a couple of hours in this well-designed museum on our last day, and got attracted by a number of items. Let me talk about one thing that impressed me most. It is a group of charts(cartographic works), that shed light on how the Spanish maritime empire flourished in the early modern periods. One would not be surprised to see the maps showing the intensity of trade between Spain herself and Cuba or Dominica. But what about the maps showing that the coming and going between Mexico or Peru on one hand and the far-away Philippines on the other was equally intense. Japanese historians have discussed how the Pacific was utilized as of the mid-19th century. This was in connection with the arrival of the US fleet to put pressure on Japan to open up. It came not via the Pacific but via the Indian Ocean, as there was no established sea route across the Pacific, in this case the north Pacific. I would like to know if the question of the maritime trade between the Spanish possessions across the Pacific was sufficiently brought into the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment