Monday, December 16, 2013

Ahmed Kathrada

     Regretfully this was the first time I have come to know his name, person, and career.  But let me say that he was outstanding among the mourners of the late Nelson Mandela.

     Kathrada was one of Mandela's real comrades in struggle.  He was in prison for twenty-six years, one year shorter than Mandela, whom he called his elder brother, mentor, leader.  They stood trial together and were sentenced to life imprisonment together.  Kathrada concluded his speech, short but impassioned and moving, by 'My life is in a void.  I don't know who to turn to'.

     From his name I guessed that he must be of Indian origin, and perhaps a descendant of one of those Indian Muslim merchants who were in South Africa when Gandhi was.  I have also found that his ancestors were from Surat, on the western coast of India.

     Last year I had the pleasure of visiting Surat to interview Mr.Narayan Desai about Gandhi whose father was Gandhi's principal secretary until his premature death in 1942.  If I can interview Desai, Kathrada's fellow Gujarati and even senior to him by several years, although not a Muslim but a Hindu, I may be allowed to entertain a dream of interviewing Kathrada also!

     I am sure Kathrada will start working, even in a void, for solving those problems he did not name there.  I wish him good health.      

No comments:

Post a Comment